You are here:

Immigration Issues/U.S. naturalization for long-term resident



I have lived in the U.S. and been a permanent resident since 1984 (when I was 4 years old). Now I am in grad school. I am applying for U.S. citizenship. The question I have is that I was out of the U.S. for longer than six months but less than a year in 2002-2003 (324 days). I was working in Japan on an educational exchange. Is it worth applying now or will they deny my application?

Thank you!

It is worth it to try. Trips of more than 6 months but less than a year do not automatically disqualify you from applying - only trips of more than a year do. They may ask you for proof you did not abandon your residence here - like a bank account and documentation of the reason you stayed out so long.


Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]