Immigration Issues/USA Citizenship


Dear Sir / Madam,

I am a British citizen who has been living in USA since July 1997.  I have a Bachelors degree and a MBA from London, England, and came to the USA with a H1B visa.  I also received my Green Card in Sep 2000 and am therefore now a permanent US resident.

Earlier this month, I got married to a US citizen.  We are trying to decide whether to live in USA or UK ... and I wanted to know if I would lose my green card if we did infact return to UK.  If we were to go back to London at this time, is there any way I could still gain US citizenship?

I thank you in anticipation of your assistance in this matter.

Ash K. Sheanh

You are not eligible for citizenship until June 2005. If you moved back to the U.K., you would need to make one trip every year to the U.S. to preserve your green card. For citizenship purposes, you would need to be in the U.S. 30 of the 60 months immediately prior to filing and approval of your citizenship. You would also not be able to take a trip of more than 6 months at a time, or you would have to start the 30/60 rule again.


Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.