Immigration Issues/Visa



My spouse is here on H1B and I am on H4 visa. We have been in the US since last 11/2 years. He has been in this company since the last 51/2 years as a senior manager.

I had the following doubts:

1. How can my spouse change his visa from H1 to L1?
2. What is the time/money required for this?
3. How long will my L2 visa take once this is done?

Also, on L2 visa, can I work in a mall on part time basis or do I need to have specialized skills?

I would really appreciate if you could help me with this.


1) Apply for change of visa from H to L. Since he is a senior manager and has been employed outside the US for more than year he should qualify.
2) If he and his company are eligible to file for an L-1 it can be done within 15-20 days. (Using premium processing) The filing fee is $320 + $1000.00 for premium processing.
3) You need to apply for your L-2 along with the L-1 and the processing time is the same.


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.