Immigration Issues/Visa F or B1


Mr Hay,
My name is Guillermo Velázquez Abreu and am writing from Colombia.
Last wednesday, I got a B1 visa for 5 years and am planning to stay in U.S.A for 2 months which I will use in order to look for a school, and to study english as a second language.
Well, I know that I've to apply for a F1 visa. In this way, I wanna know if I can apply for this kind of Visa in U.S.A or I have to return to Colombia and apply at the embassy.
Thank you very much.

Yes, you can. You can "change status" but it must be done within the time frame of your visa entry. So if you enter on the B visa, and are given 60 days to stay, and it takes longer than that to get everything done, then you are going to need to extend your visa, which should not be a problem, or leave the country. Warning you have to wait 30 days before you apply for the F1 visa. NUMBER ONE RULE: do not overstay your visa!!!!!

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.