You are here:

Immigration Issues/Visa to the US from Mexico


Mr. Hay,
Is it possible for me to submit a B1/B2 visa request on behalf of my mother-in-law and father-in-law from Mexico? My wife would like to have them visit us here in Houston but several issues may play a factor if they try to file on their own behalf. My mother-in-law years ago lost her access priviledges years ago due to an over extended stay. I believe she was denied access for 8-10 years but has since served that period. My wife's family also is not financially well off so that may raise a flag.  I thought that if I (US Citizen) could submit the request and vouch responisbility for the temporary visit that we might have better odds of getting them here. My wife and I have been married for 2.5 years and although we visit her family once a year I know they are curious as to how we are doing here in the US. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Well you won't be filing the petition, your inlaws will. But a letter of support and evidence that they will return will always help.  The issue is whether or not they will return. If they have no assets and no reason to return, then it may be difficult.  However, your offer to enter into a contract/statement of financial support may help.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.