Immigration Issues/Voluntary Removal

I came to USA with tourist visa. overstayed since august 14 2007, i spent 10 days as a detainee at Elizabeth Correctional Center in New Jersey,got out on bail, i was granted with the benefit of Voluntary Removal, i have to go to court on October 30, so the judge will let me know the date of my departure to Colombia. I want to know if that removal will affect my visa ? because i would like to come back in the future. And if i get married to an American citizen while i leave this country, could i apply to get my residence,  adjust to get legal status ?

You will mostly likely lose your visa, however, if you voluntarily leave, it may be possible to avoide the 5 year exclusion rule. Then you will be able to marry a US citizen and apply for your permanent resident visa from Columbia.  You need to be represented by an experienced US immigration attorney.  These things get very complicated, and the difference between being able to return in the next five years  may be at stake.

Alexander J. Hay

I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".

I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar