Immigration Issues/Work Permit


Hello, I'm Jonathan, and I came to the united states when I was 17. Entered with a visa in march 2002.  I never went back because my family in Guatemala was not willing to support me.  So I decide to stay, now I'm 21 and I am americanized. I speak english 24/7 and I am learning french, and know spanish since it's my native language.  I really like this country, it's just that I know I have to undergo certain processes to become legally american.  And I was wondering if a person I know who owns a bussiness selling vehicles could claim me because he has told me that I would be essential to the company, and that he would hire me if I had the way to work.  He needs someone who can speak, write and edit in spanish, and also in french for the haitian and african community.  Therefore I would like to know if there is a possibility of me being claimed and then obtain at least a work permit.
Thanks for your time.  

You are in a very bad situation.  The laws have changed and there is just about no way of getting approval to stay in the US when you entered legally or overstayed a visa for more than a year.  The only exception to this is marriage to a US citizen.  If this is the route you choose to take then think long and hard about it, and make sure you take it seriously. I see more problems in people getting married for the wrong reasons than anything else.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.