Immigration Issues/Work visa

Question
I'm a Canadian citizen, and I've been offered a clinical research position in a post-secondary institution in the US.  I thought I would be able to take this position with a TN visa, however, the lawyer at the instiution said the TN is not suitable given the job description and that a J1 might be preferable.  The problem is that I'm applying for residency in the US for 2006.  I attended a foreign medical school and I have decided to apply with an H1 visa.  My question is can I take a J1 exchange visa for this research position?  Will I be exempt of the 2 year requirement to go home?  And, if I take a J1 for 10 months, will this affect my trying to get an H1 for residency?  Thank you for your help.

Shabana Shahid

Answer
Dear Shabana,

Whether you will be subject to the 2-year home country requirement will be noted on the Form DS-2019 that is issued to you by the institution and which you will take with you to a U.S. Consulate in Canada for issuance of J-1 visa by the Consulate. If you will be subject to the 2-year home country requirement, you will be unable to change status from J-1 to H-1B in the future without a waiver.

My recommendation is to insist that the institution support you for H-1B rather than J-1 if you will be subject to the 2-year home country requirement.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora