Immigration Issues/Working in the us w/o permit

Question
I have a friend who has a job offer, however is here on a student visa. He does not have a work permit, but wants to get his green card. He has been here 7 years. What would happen if he took the job and worked without a permit? What would be his options for becoming a citizen without leaving the country?

Also, what about applying for aslyum? He is from Iran and i was thinking that with the current situation in Iran about the US saying they think they have WMD there, he may be able to apply for asylum because of that. What do you think?

Answer
Hi Joe:

Your friend can be sponsored by his employer through a process called Labor Certification: http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/foreign/perm.asp or he is married he can be sponsored by his spouse.

I do not recommend asylum unless it is a strong case (based on his individual persecution in Iran through his beliefs in religion, race, politics, or nationality); a denial of the asylum claim will result in deportation from the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora