Immigration Issues/adjustment of status

Question
I am a Canadian citizen working on a TN class visa.  I married a US citizen, and heard that while adjusting to a permanent status that I cannot work, until my Employment Authorization Card has been issued.  Can you tell me more about this?  Why wouldn't my valid TN visa allow me to work?  Also, my visa and passport are in my maiden name, but I will be applying for my permanent status in my new married name.  Will this cause any problems?

Answer
Hi Suzanne:

You can continue to work in TN status even after marriage and sponsorship by a U.S. citizen. You should also apply for employment authorization document (card), however, since you are unlikely to be granted extension of TN status in the future; extension of TN status requires a nonimmigrant intent.

Any problem with maiden/married names can be solved by carrying a copy of your marriage certificate with you. There will be no conflict. Since you want the green-card to be issued with the new married name, when filling out the applications for sponsorship by your husband use your new married name.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora