You are here:

Immigration Issues/advance parole to travel abroad



I am applying to adjust my status (from F1 student to permanent resident due to marriage) and I will be sending, in the same package, a request for advance parole so that I can travel abroad. I have two questions:
1) Is it ok to send the advance parole request along with the I-485 and petition of alien relative? The forms are not very clear on that issue.

2)For how long is, usually, the advance parole document valid?

I appreciate your time and attention.


Debora Viana

At this point I don't know.  They used to be very strict about advance parole, but they are taking so long to process the applications that even they are starting to realize that it is just unreasonable to expect people to wait that long.

It is worth a try.  In the past they have denied them.  But in the past they denied a lot of things they are approving now.  Give it a try.

Good luck

ps:  if you get it let me know!  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.