You are here:

Immigration Issues/apply for citizenship and dui ......


hi i got issued green card last year and i got arrested dui and possession of marihuana 3 month ago. am i able to apply for citizen ship after 5years later probation ends? if i cant qualify, what can i do to get a citizenship? going army gonna help my situation? i feel like im in the rock bottom.. please help me out

Depending on what you did, I am surprised you didn't have your green card taken away and deported. But you got lucky.  Now becoming a citizen will take time now. You must make sure that whatever you were doing that got you in trouble you stop doing it.  The army may help actually.  Under US law service in the Army during war time gets you citizenship.  Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.