Immigration Issues/the border

Question
I WAS BORN IN TEXAS, AND I HAVE A BIRTH CERTIFICATE, A FEW DAYS AGO I WAS TALKING TO MY DAD AND WERE PLANNING TO GO TO MEXICO IN DECEMBER. MY DAD WAS TELLING ME THAT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO GET A PASSPORT IN ORDER TO COME BACK. HE SAYS THAT I CANT USE MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE ANYMORE. I WAS WONDERING BECAUSE HE SAID THAT FOR THE COMING YEAR OF 2007 IT WAS GOING TO BE A NEW LAW.

Answer
if you are travelling by foot or car to Mexico, a birth certificate and a photo ID will suffice HOWEVER, 2008 you will be required to have a passport for any travel outside the United States.  Please read the following regulations:  

*  In January 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.
   * As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

David