Immigration Issues/boyfriend


well my boyfriend/husband is an illegal immigrant,but has been in the us since the age of 5 and is now 23.weve been living together for over a year now. he and i wish to get married, the problem is that when he was younger he lost his birth certificate, and has nothing,and by nothing i mean no id no proof of identification,noting in general.the state of Texas requires state id and social security card to get married. i guess my question is, what can we do in this situation?

Marriage would provide him with a lot of solutions. However, getting his id is something that must be done.  You and he will need to get his birth certificate.  This is not so difficult.  You just contact the authorities in whatever state he was born, and ask for a copy.  You may need to get someone to do some research if you do not have enough information to correctly identify him.  Once you have the birth certificate, he needs to apply for a Mexican passport.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.