Immigration Issues/My brother's I-130 and visit Visa

Question
Dear Sir,

Last month I got my US Citizenship and applied for my brother's green card (I-130) few days ago. However, my brother also wants to visit us for a month and I have heard that if his petition for green card is filed with USCIS, he wouldn't get visitor's visa from the embassy. Is this correct? Please help me in this regard.

Best regards, Imtiaz

Answer
Imtiaz,
It is true that filing for an immigrant visa would prevent the visa officers from issuing an B-2 visa. But in your brother's case since the wait is very long, if he can prove that he will not be a risk of staying back, there is a possibility of being granted a B-2 visa. However, it is still upto the consulate to issue one or not.
Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan