You are here:

Immigration Issues/How to cancel Conditoinal Green Card & I-864


I am an american citizen, married to a girl in pakistan. after she got her visa, her sister in newyork sent her ticket and she went to her sister house in new york. My wife came to usa 2 months ago, she has 2 year conditional gren card. After she arrive in usa , she demanded 50k , otherwise she will make stories to get me in trouble, i filed for divorce after 4 days she arrived in usa. My marriage is only 1 year 4 months, but in usa we never lived together even one day because she went to her sister house after she got her visa. my wife married me just to come to usa. please advise me if i can cancel her onditional green card
and i-1864. I sent letter to INS but i have not heard any thing from INS. Please guide me.

I do not believe you can cancel the conditional green card since the entire system is designed to protect against just this issue. However, to protect yourself I would suggest that you report the entire situation to the Immigration authorities, including dates, etc.  The Immigration Service may choose to prosecute her for fraud and use you as evidence, but most likely they will do nothing and at the end of 2 years she will be here without a visa, at which point she can either find someone else to marry, stay illegally, or go back home.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.