Immigration Issues/cancel petition

Question
I am a us citizen.I got married in the dominican republic in 1997. The INS said the marriage was not valid, but said I could appeal.I have two children with another US Citizen ,the woman I want to marry now. Do I need to get a divorce? If so, how can I when I live in the US? Can I cancel the case?  

Answer
Probably.  Just because the US Immigration refuses to acknowledge the marriage as valid for immigration purposes, that does not mean the marriage is void. If you have a legal marriage on the books, you cannot get married again until that marriage is terminated, either by death or by divorce.

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay