Immigration Issues/cancel petition


I am a us citizen.I got married in the dominican republic in 1997. The INS said the marriage was not valid, but said I could appeal.I have two children with another US Citizen ,the woman I want to marry now. Do I need to get a divorce? If so, how can I when I live in the US? Can I cancel the case?  

Probably.  Just because the US Immigration refuses to acknowledge the marriage as valid for immigration purposes, that does not mean the marriage is void. If you have a legal marriage on the books, you cannot get married again until that marriage is terminated, either by death or by divorce.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.