Immigration Issues/can I change jobs?

Question
I got an employment based green card 3 and a half months ago. Can I quit my current job and move on to do something else as far as my job. Is there any restriction of that? Can an employment based permanent resident change his jobs?

Thank you.

Answer

There is no violation of the law if you change jobs within six months of obtaining your green card. However, my recommendation is to stay with the employer at least another 2 and one-half months so that you remain for a total of at least six months after you became a permanent resident. Doing so will prevent the USCIS from attemping to rescind your green card based on the employer's complaint (if the employer files a complaint with the USCIS) that you fraudulenty convinced the employer to sponsor you for a green card even though you had no intention to work for the employer. Also, if you file for citizenship in the future, during the interview you could be asked if you worked for the employer for at least six months after becoming a permanent resident. However, if you have a good reason for leaving now (such as the fact that the employer is not paying you the agreed upon salary) then you can leave now without any problems in the future.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora