You are here:

Immigration Issues/changing status of visa


QUESTION: Dear Mr. Hollander,
I am an American citizen residing in Houston and have a boyfriend of 3 years who lives in the UK.  In the fall of 2009 he will be coming to study in Texas to acquire his masters in business administration.  After some time we plan on marrying and after this he plans on acquiring his citizenship through permanent residence, naturalization and so on.  Could he (and would this be advisable) change his visa status from student to fiance, then to spousal and follow up on the citizenship process? We are both just thouroughly confused as to how to go about getting married between 09' and '10.
Thank you for your time
ANSWER: Anytime after he comes here on student visa you can get married and apply for his greenc ard. He does not need a fiancee visa in between. After he has his green card for 3 years, he can file for citizenship, if you are still married.



---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Thank you Robert for your time,
I do however have one more query.  After reviewing some other material (on the internet though) on this subject regarding my boyfriend who will be coming to the U.S. on a student visa with intent to study, who I eventually plan on marrying, I came across something else.  I found (and I don'tknow if this is true or not) that if we get married it can take up to 2 years in which time he can not leave the U.S. unless prior permission to do so, that we will have trouble going on a honeymoon if we decide to do so out of the country, and that his status will no longer be a student visa.  Will this hurt his education process?  

His status willbe pending Adjustment of Status Applciant and he can continue school. You can get married file the papers, including travel permission and then when the travel permission is approved which is usually 2-3months, you can go on a honeymoon. The travel permission will be good for multiple trips for 1 year and can be renewed.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.