You are here:

Immigration Issues/citizen in love with illegal alien


I am a U.S. citizen in love with a Mexican citizen.  He came illegally.  We want to marry.  What is the best way to go... regarding on becoming legal.  Also, is it better to wait and get married or can we become legally married now?

Yoou can marry if you like but if he entered the United States illegally, and nobody filed an application for a green card for him prior to April 1, 2001, he  can not obtaain a  green card without leaving the United States. The law will need to change for him to obtain immigration benefits from his marriage to you.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.