You are here:

Immigration Issues/US citizen marrying F-1 student



I am a US citizen. I am engaged to a non US citizen on F-1 visa that expires in August 2006 beyond which he will have one year to stay in US on OPT. We plan on getting married this year. What do I have to do for him to get green card/citizenship status so that he can stay here in USA and have work privilige? Will he have to go back to his country to get the paperwork for green card done? How long does it take to get it processed after filing?

Thanks for your time.



You need to get married.  Once you are married he will qualify for adjustment of status here in the US.  However, I would not wait until the OPT.  There are a lot of complications that come with accepting OPT.

If you need help with the paperwork, we can help you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.