Immigration Issues/US citizen marrying a H-1B canadian

Question

Hi ,

I'm a male US citizen and I just got engaged to Canadian woman currently residing in the US with a H-1B working permit sponsored by GE.

She is a homeowner in Vermont and has been working in the US for over 5 years.  We are thinking of getting married in Nova Scotia and I'm curious what kind if visa problems / benefits this would create.

My question: Eventually we might like to live in Canada. Will getting married in Canada make that easier?  What types of forms need to be filled out ahead of time to make this easier?

Regarding my fiancÚs -- What do we need to do to get her a Green card?
Thanks!

Answer
John,
It does not really matter where you are married as long as you can prove a valid marriage.  Thus, if you get married in another country then that is fine as long as it is valid and can be proved as such.

I do not know anything about Canadian immigration law and cannot instruct you on that part of the border.

If you want your wife to receive permanent residency then the U.S. citizen can file an immigration petition (I-130) and the alien spouse can file an application to adjust status to permanent resident (I-485).  There are several requirements which I cannot expand upon in this forum.  I would suggest that you consult an immigration attorney to give you the full explanation.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Mark Ashley