You are here:

Immigration Issues/US citizen wanting to marry UK citizen


What are the two "very serious" acts of fraud?  I'm not sure that i understand.  And in any case, when we do decide to get married, is it possible to file all the paperwork ourselves without the assistance of a lawyer and if so, is the processing time any more lengthy?
The text above is a follow-up to ...

What do you mean by "non immigration" reasons to wait 30 days or more?  He's coming over to the US in February and we intend to get married, "spur of the moment", of course.  He only plans on being over here a week this time, so could we, technically, get married, and he go back for about a month to settle up his affairs in the UK then come back here to live with me while the I-130 and I-485 are processing?  How long would it take before he could get a work permit?  With all the information on the internet (and i have done much research), would it be necessary to hire a lawyer to handle all the paperwork (I'm quite confident that if given the proper direction, that i could manage to complete the necessary forms myself).
The text above is a follow-up to ...

My boyfriend(UK citizen) and i(US citizen) are wanting to get married soon.  We are wanting to get married in the US and have a traditional wedding.  Here's the glitch, we have never physically met (yes, we met over the internet).  But he is planning on selling all his possessions in the UK and coming over here to the US so we can get married.  Is there anyway we can do this without breaking any laws?  I know i have read somewhere that if he were to come over here on a tourist visa (that may not apply to UK citizens), that if you get married, that immigration frowns upon that and my not grant his stay here after we are married.  I'm really worried and i want for us to be together.  So what steps do i need to take to ensure that we can be together as husband and wife?

Technically, if he comes to the US on a waiver visa (no visa required for UK citizens) and he actually intends to get married, it is immigration fraud.


I have never heard of the Immigration taking action against someone who is here and applies for a visa through a spouse.  Now if they ask him at airport why he wants to come to the US, and he says he wants to get married, they will stop him and send him back.  But unless he admits this at the point of entry he should have no problems once he is here.

A good rule is to wait 30 days to get married, although this is not necessary for immediate relative petitions based on marriage to a US citizen.  But in your case there may be non-immigration reasons to wait 30 days or more.

Good luck.
I would advise against that.  You go from one harmless act of fraud to 2 very serious acts of fraud.  When you both are sure, and he is ready to come and stay for a good long time, then get married.  Otherwise, just have some fun and get to know each other.

Good luck.

The first time he enters, he can argue that the marriage was a spur of the moment thing.  The second time after you have been married it is an outright lie and might get him in trouble when he turns around and seeks the visa.  

I would advise to be patient.  If this is the person you are going to spend the rest of your life with, a few trips, a few months, a few absences might be more telling than anything else.

Best of luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.