Immigration Issues/us citizenship

Question
I have a conditional green card right now through marriage and will be filing to have the condition removed in March 2009. I know you have to be married with your spouse for 3 yrs until you can file for citizenship. Does this mean I can't leave the country for 3 yrs? Since I read somewhere that it is required of you to be residing in the US for 3 yrs to be qualified for citizenship.

Answer
Kristine,
You are right but there is a difference between physical presence and residence.  The requirement is that you should be physically present for 18 months and should have resided continuously. "Residing continuosly" is not the same as physically present, it means that you should not have abandoned your residence in the US. This is as briefly as I can explain this. Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan