Immigration Issues/us citizenship


I have a conditional green card right now through marriage and will be filing to have the condition removed in March 2009. I know you have to be married with your spouse for 3 yrs until you can file for citizenship. Does this mean I can't leave the country for 3 yrs? Since I read somewhere that it is required of you to be residing in the US for 3 yrs to be qualified for citizenship.

You are right but there is a difference between physical presence and residence.  The requirement is that you should be physically present for 18 months and should have resided continuously. "Residing continuosly" is not the same as physically present, it means that you should not have abandoned your residence in the US. This is as briefly as I can explain this. Hope it helps.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.