Immigration Issues/a complex situation and H1B denial

Question
Dear Mr. Arora,

I am Hetal Velani, a software engineer working in US. First of Thanks much for the help you are providing to people like myself. Basically, my situation is a complex one.
- I waa working for a company, Silkone Inc, who filed for my green card in May 2002.
- My 6 years H1B was valid till 27-Jun-2003
- Due to bad economy i returned to India on
04-apr-2003 after filing for 7th year H1 thru Silkone as i was eligible for it.
- I was working for a "different" company in India. My 7th Year H1 got approved and i stamped it in Oct2003, which was valid till 27-jun-2004
- I returned to US on 20-apr-2004 on "this" 7th year H1B to the same company, with around 2 months left on H1B. I spend ~382 (more then 365) days out-of-us
- I was eligible for 1 year estension (8th year) based on my pending green card application. But my attorney suggested of going for 3 years extension as i spent more then 1 year out-of-US.
- I filed for "this" extension on 1-jun-2004
- I received 4 RFE between then and now
- today (28-feb-2005) i received H1B DENIAL.

The questions are,
- What are my options here?
- What is my typical grace period in this case?
- Is there  any possibility to file for "extension" thru another company as my green card is still pending? I've also crossed 240 days since  my i-94 has been expired.
- My attorney says if i "file" for extension thru another company, there is a possibility of getting it. Does H1B cap limit for 2005, which already over, applicable in this case?

I heartly appreciate any help in this regard,

Thanks in advance
Hetal

Answer
Hi Hetal,

You appear eligible for extension based on either application for labor certification or I-140 pending for one year. Since there is only a 10-day grace period after denial, my recommendation is that the extension be filed as soon as possible, and hopefully the H-1B approval notice will have an I-94 attached to the bottom so that you can continue to remain in the U.S. (you will not have to travel abroad to a U.S. Consulate to be issued another visa). You are not subject to the visa cap since the visa cap is not a problem with H-1B extension or transfer cases.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora