You are here:

Immigration Issues/consequences after transfer of F1 to H1


I am currently on F-1 and not yet graduate in MS computer science but received a job offer from a
company with an effective date of October 1st as a background from Computer engineering undergraduate. They have filed for my
and I have also received an approval.
However, I will not be able to start my job until 1st of October. Do I
need to go back to school for the Fall semester (graduate class)and be in school till
30th of Sep to be in status or since I have received my H-1 will it be
fine if I don't take classes.
what if i discontinue my course in the middle and
my university will take some action against me??I might be question
i apply for green card later or not?.Is it lawful act that i will just
stop going school after my status changed into H1B from F1.


Raz: You are required to stay in status until October 1, 2007. The only period of exception to this would be the 60 day grace period for F-1 students.

If you are in status and make the switch on Oct 1, 2007 there is nothing much the university can do. It also has no bearing on your future green card application.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Attorney at Law

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]