Immigration Issues/deporting


My question is in regards to my children
s father.  He is from Cuba and has committed a felony.  He is currently serving a three-year sentence, which he has only done five months.  He has his green card for our state, but not his citizenship, nor does his wife.  Can he be deported back to Cuba and if so, how does this process work?  Thank you!

Yes.  In fact it is very likely he will be deported straight from jail.  He will simply be transferred from the US prison to the immigration authorities who will hold him until such time as the Cubans agree to accept him.  Since relations with Cuba are not very good, he may be held indefinitely.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.