You are here:

Immigration Issues/divorce with U.S citizen




I am a Russian citizen, and married to a US citizen 2 years ago. I've received my 1st Green Card(Conditional Permanent Residence) half a year ago. Now, my husband is filing a divorce petition against me.

1. Do I have to leave the US after devorce?

2. Is there any options how I can stay in the US?

3. Will I be eligible to apply for US citizenship?

Thank you

You should contact an experienced immigration attorney since you are in a very difficult situation.  You have options, but they are too complicated to deal with here. If you do not take action, however, you will eventually have to leave the USA. It is up to you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.