You are here:

Immigration Issues/Am I eligible to apply for Naturalization?


Hello there,
I got GC in Sep 2000 and went back to my home country in Oct 2000 with the help of reentry permit. I came back in Jan 2003 and stayed in US till Mar 2004 went back to India and came in Apr 2004. Again I had a trip in Sep 2005 till Oct 2005 another trip in apr 2006 till may 2006 and my last trip in july 28th 2006 till sep 13 2006. And now my question is that when is the right time for me to apply for citizenship. As I herd from some other sites that I will be eligible to apply after 4 yrs 1 day after my return back to USA from a long trip which i had in Oct 2000. So that means am I eligible to apply for Naturalization in Feb 2007?

Thanks in Advance

You will be elligible within 3 or 5 years of getting the GC, depending on how you got it. However, if there is a year where you stay out of the USA for more than 6 months, then you have to start the clock again.  It requires 3 or 5 years of continuous residence inside the USA.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.