Immigration Issues/not exactly sponsoring, but maybe

Question
Mr. Hay,
 All the other experts are on vacation and Im on a deadline.  I hope you can help or possibly steer me in the right direction.  My friend from college is from Brazil on a student visa.  She said one of the requirements is that she has or has someone who has $39,000.  I told her I could help as long as she doesnt have access to my account.  I really want to help her.  Do you know under what circumstances I could lose my money?  Am I in some way responsible for her?

Answer
This is a very unwise thing for you to do. It is unfortunate that your friend does not have the financial ability to afford to go to school and maintain her legal status, but you will be required to state that you will financially support her. And if she fails in some manner, you may end up being liable for any fees and expenses she has incurred and failed to pay. There is also an issue of fraud since you are not really going to sponsor her, but you will be signing a sworn statement that you will.

I think your friend is either very ignorant about what she is asking you to do, very desperate, and/or very dishonest.

Best of luck.

Alexander J. Hay