Immigration Issues/extending stay after OPT completion in order to complete professional project

Question
Dear Ramasamy,

I am an artist who has recently completed a course of study in the US, and am currently on an OPT until July 2008.  I believe that I would have an additional 60 days to remain in the country?  My problem is that I have been asked to curate an art exhibition which will run from early October 2008 through early November 2008.  Would it be possible to apply for a visitors visa without leaving the country so that I can stay until the project is completed.  How would I go about this change? And what about the process of aplying for an O visa, is curating art exhibitions or taking part in art exhibitions grounds for an O visa?

Answer
Paul,
The process would be to apply for a change of status to B-1 to allow you to stay beyond the time period. I would suggest that you do this well in advance of the deadline. (six months prior to July). I am not sure if they would approve it or not.
As to O visa, I will not be able to make a call as to whether you qualify for an O or not based on your single invitation to be a curator. You would also  be required to show extraordinary ability in your field such as exhibitions of your work, published articles, etc..

Sincerely,
Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan