Immigration Issues/extending stay after OPT completion in order to complete professional project

Dear Ramasamy,

I am an artist who has recently completed a course of study in the US, and am currently on an OPT until July 2008.  I believe that I would have an additional 60 days to remain in the country?  My problem is that I have been asked to curate an art exhibition which will run from early October 2008 through early November 2008.  Would it be possible to apply for a visitors visa without leaving the country so that I can stay until the project is completed.  How would I go about this change? And what about the process of aplying for an O visa, is curating art exhibitions or taking part in art exhibitions grounds for an O visa?

The process would be to apply for a change of status to B-1 to allow you to stay beyond the time period. I would suggest that you do this well in advance of the deadline. (six months prior to July). I am not sure if they would approve it or not.
As to O visa, I will not be able to make a call as to whether you qualify for an O or not based on your single invitation to be a curator. You would also  be required to show extraordinary ability in your field such as exhibitions of your work, published articles, etc..

Ramasamy Krishnan

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.

I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,