You are here:

Immigration Issues/extending stay after OPT completion in order to complete professional project


Dear Ramasamy,

I am an artist who has recently completed a course of study in the US, and am currently on an OPT until July 2008.  I believe that I would have an additional 60 days to remain in the country?  My problem is that I have been asked to curate an art exhibition which will run from early October 2008 through early November 2008.  Would it be possible to apply for a visitors visa without leaving the country so that I can stay until the project is completed.  How would I go about this change? And what about the process of aplying for an O visa, is curating art exhibitions or taking part in art exhibitions grounds for an O visa?

The process would be to apply for a change of status to B-1 to allow you to stay beyond the time period. I would suggest that you do this well in advance of the deadline. (six months prior to July). I am not sure if they would approve it or not.
As to O visa, I will not be able to make a call as to whether you qualify for an O or not based on your single invitation to be a curator. You would also  be required to show extraordinary ability in your field such as exhibitions of your work, published articles, etc..

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.