You are here:

Immigration Issues/US citizen wanting to marry UK citizen


Cheri wrote at 2007-02-05 13:39:19
I am a us citizen that did marry a uk citizen. He came over on his waiver visa and stayed longer than the 3 months. we married about 4 months after he was here. I suggest if he plans to come over and marry that he not just stay for a week he very well could have problems coming back. It took about 5 months for him to get his work visa and about 2 years to get his green card and about $4000.00 in lawyer and immigration fees. After all was said and done I realized we could have done without the lawyer.

Mikey wrote at 2008-01-08 10:23:52
Im so confused about this.. me and my girlfriend 100% want to be married and live together in the UK.. she lives in the US.. shes leaving everything behind when she comes over, we are dedly serious about it.. what i dont understand is, what exacly is the emigration regecting about.. i mean if she said shes comming over to UK to marry me, and settle down have kids etc.. is that what thay dont like, or it simply that thay regect things if thay think its not real deal, or that we lie about it ?.. can someone please clear this up, ive heard ppl get sent back, by telling the truth, so i sure as hell dont trust them.. and im definatly not going to let them come between the strong love and comitment we have.

createdbycaz wrote at 2009-05-29 14:42:32
For the person who was asking about marriage in the US and the repercussions.  

My British boyfriend visited 3 times in the US

we got married on the 3rd.  At the entry, the officer asked him the purpose of his visit.  He said to visit. Which at the time was true.  The officer said well if you are deciding anything different, you will have to change all this within the 3 months you are allowed to stay.

We  have been married for 3 years now.

no problems  ever

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]