You are here:

Immigration Issues/family 485 and weird document requests from IO


Me and my husband are married for  almost two years. we were both phd students on a large campus. he is a USC. we filed our immigration case last Nov. got interviewed this June.
at the interview, she did not like my birth-certificate, she says it looks different than she normally sees.
she asked me to provided family register and gave me 84 days to send it in.
After some consulting with lawyers, they said I should send notarized birth certificate because family registry does not serve the purpose of birth certificate.
Then today, my notarized birthcertificate was sent back to me without any explanations. the whole envelop had only my notarized birthcertificate  in it.

1. would she deny my case only because of this?
2. do i have rights to appeal?
our marriage is so legitimate.. I would feel so angry if it's denied. we are having a baby and I am about 6 months pregnant and finishing my degree at the same time.  I really don't have energy with deal with a rejection. thanks  alot

Sue: You should call the officer or make an infopass appointment and check on your status of the case. I am not sure why the attorney suggested that the family register is not the right document. The USCIS usually accepts these documents from countries such as Korea... Did you check if your country or city issues such birth certificates? If it is so, I think you should be able to prove this easily.

They can reject the case due to non-response to their request. You cannot appeal but can file for a motion to reconsider. As you have responded to their request, I would suggest that you keep the envelope and other records of your correspondence.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.