Immigration Issues/fiancee becoming F-2


Hi Mr Krishnan,
I'm on F-1 status expiring Dec 2007 but I already applied for OPT so my employment authorization is coming around November 2007. My fiancee wants to come to the US as a tourist and get married here. Can he change his status to F-2 after we get married? Is any period of time we have to be married before filling the petition for F-2? What other alternatives for staying with me he has?
I'm desperate for help, thank you for your time in advance

Claudia: You can get married and have your spouse apply for a change of status to F-2. However, you need to be aware of the issue of fraudulent intent in such cases. The Immigration service would consider your fiancee's intent was not to enter as a tourist as he had stated to obtain his visa but to get married. I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney before you proceed.


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.