You are here:

Immigration Issues/just filed I-485 and dream job offer from overseas


I just filed I 130 and I-485 after I married to a US Citizen.  I live in Texas and applied for Pilot(DORA). A few days later, I got a dream job offer from a US major bank in overseas and they ask me to start within a month.  My husband is supportive and may join me in Asia later.
1. What will be the best way to handle this situation?  I do not want to screw my status and do want to visit US and see my husband time to time.  
2. If I withdraw my I485 in TX and reapply in Asia, would it be OK?
3. Should I go ahead and apply for advanced parole?
4. Should I ask the bank to wait until I get Green Card that will take less than 90 days?
5.After I receive a green card within 90days (DORA) and apply for reentry permit, can I leave US before I received the reentry permit and ask USCIS to forward it to address in Asia?

I thank you so much for your time.

I think the best thing to do is notify the Immigration Service, and ask for advance parole.  When the time comes, you will have to return back to the US with your husband for the interview.  When they ask you why you are not living in the US , you say it is only a temporary transfer and that you will be coming back any week.  If you cannot get your advance parole, just ask to have the visa transferred to either your home country or your new residence (if you are going to actually get a residency in the 3rd country).

Finally, do not rely upon what I said. Retain a competent attorney in the area familiar with immigration issues to handle everything for you.  It is going to get complicated and you want a professional to help you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.