Immigration Issues/about form I-864


Hello, I am a F-1 student applying for a greencard through marriage.  I am going through the process without a lawyer since I do not have any resources to do so.  I bought a book and everything went smoothly until I-864 came up.  The description in the book was very vague regarding this form if the sponsor did not meet the minimum salary.  My wife has only two tax returns with salaries of $6,000 and $9,000.  My father in law is willing to be my sponsor since his salaries average around $40,000.  My dilema is "what do I exactly turn in"?  Do I have to turn in two I-864 with my wife's name and my father in law's name? and do I need three years of tax returns from both of them: total of six?  My wife only has two so far.  I just don't want to cause any delays by not sending enough informations.  Thank you so much for your time.  I really appreciate it.

All I can tell you to do is read the instructions.  They are not vague.  It is just difficult.  I cannot give you a step by step instruction on how to do this.  You may want to retain an attorney to prepare it for you if you cannot do so yourself.  Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.