Immigration Issues/green card and absence from the states

Question
Dear Mr. Hay,
I have lived in the US for six and a half years and have had a green card for the past four and a half years. During this time I have been away from the US (not necessarily to my home country, but to various countries on travel and work) several times, totaling around 20 months. Though I have never left for more than 5 months at a time, I have heard that repeated absences might pose a problem. Will this prevent me from applying for citizenship at the end of my 5 year term?

Thank you,
Sid

Answer
The total absences may cause you problems with citizenship, but without a calendar and your passport in front of me, I wouldn't be able to say.  What to be careful about is not to stay out more than 1 year without an parole re-entry permit.  Otherwise you lose your greencard.

Alexander J. Hay