Immigration Issues/hello I want to be a...

Question
hello

I want to be a translator in immigration court. Before I enter the courtroom to translate, I will need to review the respondent's story. In order for me to do that I will have to contact the lawyer of that respondent before the date of the trial, so I can get the complete story and review it and to eliminate any surprises. This way I can be ready before the case starts. Please give me your opinion about this and about how can I do this, and what should I ask from the counsel; I really appreciate your valuable answer, and I am in need for as much information as possible regarding this matter.

Sincerely;
 Thanks for help

Answer
Have you ever translated for a court????

I believe what you are talking about would be considered dangerously close to tampering.

All the translator is supposed to do is translate from a foreign language to English word for word, and back again word for word.  

The translator is not supposed to worry about the context fo what is being said, only that the translation is accurate.

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay