Immigration Issues/help!


hi alexander
My case is a little bit complicated, I came to the us with my b1/b2 visa and got married in Florida with an us citizen.
Then after that we hired a lawyer later we realized that he was a fraud.
Time passed and well now we have been married 1 year 4 months! I still have my i-94 that expired 1 year ago.
After all the money and time  that we spend we can’t  afford to do all the process of hiring another  lawyer
Right now  
My questions are  
1: what should we do  should we wait more time to save money and hire a lawyer or do the paper work our self

2: and if we do it our self’s how hard it would be to get my green card and how long could it take?

3: do I have to go back to México to apply for my green card because dint returned my 1-94?

4: should we be worry if they could deport me before we have the chance to fill the paper work?

thank you so much for you time  

First of all you do not need to hire a lawyer, but you will end up making a lot of mistakes and learning how to do it yourself.  This will be time consuming and frustrating.  Also, it could be costly since if done correctly you should have a work authorization within a month or so of applying (of course you may hire a lawyer who does it wrong so what can I say???).

If you entered legally, there is no reason for you to leave the USA. The best thing to do is to process the visa here and to request that you adjust your status here.  It takes longer but while you wait you can get a temporary work authorization.

If the lawyer has not filed the paperwork for you demand your money back, and then file a grievance with the state bar if he does not.  

If you wold like my help I would be happy to be of assistance.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]