You are here:

Immigration Issues/what is the i130 process


-the letter says that her petition was approved may first and they will besending it to nvc or something like that and that the visa center will figure out a consulate that will be best for us to finish the visa process i got the letter in my hand im so happy if it was approved so fast
yhank you
please anwer me what happens next
Followup To
Question -
i filed the i130 petition for my wife in mexico and i am a us citizen i filed it in 2006 in febuary and i got aletter saying her case was approved what does this mean andd what happens now the letter says she was approved may 1rst is it a mistake they said it would take about a year just to process
thank you
i greatly appreciate it
hpoe to hear  an answer soon
Answer -
It normally takes a year or so for an approval.  February 2006 is far too early to have a result already.
You will be notified on the visa available which I assume is an IR1.

First, the USCIS must approve an immigrant visa petition, I-130 Petition for Alien Relative for you. This petition is filed by your relative (sponsor) and must be accompanied by proof of your relationship to the requesting relative.

Second, the Department of State must determine if an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you, the foreign national, even if you are already in the United States. When an immigrant visa number becomes immediately available to you, it means that you can apply to have one of the immigrant visa numbers assigned to you. You can check the status of a visa number in the Department of State's Visa Bulletin.

Third, if you are already in the United States, you may apply to change your status to that of a lawful permanent resident after a visa number becomes available for you. This is one way you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number. Click here for application procedures for becoming a lawful permanent resident while in the United States. If you are outside the United States when an immigrant visa number becomes available for you, you must then go to the U.S. consulate servicing the area in which you reside to complete your processing. This is the other way in which you can apply to secure an immigrant visa number.

Note: Information concerning the new K (advance admission for the spouse and children of a U.S. citizen) and new V (advance admission for the spouse and the minor children of a lawful permanent resident) nonimmigrant categories is available but not yet incorporated here. For updates on the Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act, please click here.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Immigration Law enforcement Border Patrol


30 years Immigration law enforcement/management, criminal investigations, Homeland Security including Border Patrol operations

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]