Immigration Issues/imigration


3 weeks ago i married a US citizen in the UK (i am a brit)and i want to go live in the states with my wife.Neither of us are in well paid jobs, so expence is an issue with lawyers and stuff ,can you suggest an easy way thru this process? If there is one and can you tell me if getting married instead of going for a fiances visa will make a difference?

If your US citizen spouse is also a resident of UK (i.e., not in the UK on a tourist visa), he or she may file an I-130 petition to sponsor you for a green card at the U.S. Embassy in London.  Current processing times are about 3-4 weeks.

When this has been approved, the U.S. Embassy will send a packet for you to complete in order to be scheduled for a final immigrant interview at the U.S. Embassy, where you will be asked to present (among other things), proof of your spouse's ability to support you financially.  A Form I-864 Affidavit of Support will need to be submitted, together with evidence that he or she makes 125% of the poverty level for the size of the family that he or she is responsible for supporting (including yourself).

More information may be found at the U.S. Embassy website:

Information on the Affidavit of Support may be found here:

I hope this is helpful!

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Janelle Miau


I can respond to any employment-based and marriage-based U.S. immigration questions. I specialize in obtaining visas and permanent residence for performers, musicians and filmmakers who have job offers from viable U.S. companies.


I have several years experience working for an immigration law firm and am familiar with a wide variety of topics. I also have several sources of up-to-date information on recent changes in the law.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]