Immigration Issues/immigration

Question

I am a us citizen and am currently trying to immigrate my fiance who is in france. we met two years ago when he was a study abroad student here in the us and we are going to be married in france in december, and then i will be going through the petition process. does it hurt our chances for him coming over if we are getting married in france and not in the united states?

Answer
Hi Megan,

If you wish to bring your fiance to the U.S. for the purpose of marrying him in the U.S., you need to file K-1 petition for your fiance: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/fiance.htm

If you wish to marry your fiance in France (as you have stated in your email), then you must first get married (in France) and then the K-3 petition process must be started: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/hdiknonimm.htm

Deciding whether to be married in France or the U.S. is not an important consideration for immigration purposes, as you will be considered legally married in any event.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora