Immigration Issues/immigration

Question
Hi Mr.Hay,
I came here legally from Canada and my passport is stamped to prove it was a legal entry. Since I have over stayed I just need to know our options. I am livimg common law with my husband and he  is a US Citizen. We plan to get married in the next few months, I needed to know if they can still deport me when we get married. I was told that where I entered legally I will not have to go home for my interview is that correct?? Thank You for your time and response.

Karen.  

Answer
Once you are married your spouse can file for you and the paperwork can all be processed here. Until then you can be deported.  Unless you are living in a state that provides for "common law" marriages your status right now gives you absolutely no protections.  It would be wise to move up the date of your marriage and then proceed to filing the necessary papers to get your visa processed here in the USA.  

Good luck.  I would be more than happy to assist you with your paperwork if you would like that.

Alexander J. Hay