Immigration Issues/immigration


Hi Mr.Hay,
I came here legally from Canada and my passport is stamped to prove it was a legal entry. Since I have over stayed I just need to know our options. I am livimg common law with my husband and he  is a US Citizen. We plan to get married in the next few months, I needed to know if they can still deport me when we get married. I was told that where I entered legally I will not have to go home for my interview is that correct?? Thank You for your time and response.


Once you are married your spouse can file for you and the paperwork can all be processed here. Until then you can be deported.  Unless you are living in a state that provides for "common law" marriages your status right now gives you absolutely no protections.  It would be wise to move up the date of your marriage and then proceed to filing the necessary papers to get your visa processed here in the USA.  

Good luck.  I would be more than happy to assist you with your paperwork if you would like that.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]