Immigration Issues/immigration


I am a US citizen, and my boyfriend is currently an F1 visa student.  He is a doctor from Saudi Arabia studying in US to get his American Medical License. He needs  another visa (J1) to work in his residency (which has the 2yr live in Saudi Arabia requirement, which we want to avoid).    We want to get married, and for him to get a green card.  What is the best/fastest way to do this with the least requirements?  I understand that if we got married in the us, it would take 2 years for him to receive a green card, but then how would he work?  I understand if we got married outside the us, it would only take a month or so to get his green card.   Is this true?  What do you recommend?

Gabriele: It does not take two years to get his green card. You need to file for his adjustment of status application and depending on the state you live in they will call you both in for an interview (this could take a 6-12 months). During this waiting period he will be issued a work permit. If everything goes well, he will be issued a conditional green card that will be valid of two years. After the two years he can remove the conditions and get his permanent green card. I would suggest that you consult an immigration attorney to help you or obtain the details about the process I mentioned above.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.