Immigration Issues/immigration


My husband and I got married almost three years ago. He is a U S citizen by birth and I am a citizen of Jamaica. We got married in the U S. My current status should that of a visitor as I entered the U S on a b1/b2 visa type. To make a long story short, I over stayed my visit,married my husband who is currently incarcerated. Will I still be able to apply for a change of status and if so how do I go about doing it.

To sponsor you for a green card your husband will need to show the financial ability to support you and file an affidavit of support.  As your husband is incarcerated, it is unlikely that he would be able to show that abiltity.  The exact income required increases every year and depends on the size of the family.

Your situation has some unusual complexities and I do not advise that you proceed without an attorney.  You probably should get someone local to you since you would want the attorney to attend the adjustment interview with you.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.