Immigration Issues/us immigration law


hi Alexander, i hope that you will find this in best of yous times, i hope that you can help me giving information about immigration law of usa, my wife is a green card holder i jsut married her can i get a green card on basis of my wife and othere thing is i have a usa visit visa is it good to apply for a green card on basis of wife enterining usa, my wife got green card by lottery and im from pakistan  

If you have a current temporary visitor visa, then be very careful as to what you do.  Your wife can petition for you, but there is a 4 to 5 year wait for spouses of permanent residents.  Once the petition is filed, you would be unable to use the tempoary visa since it would be cancelled.  It might be better to wait until your wife becomes a US citizen.

There are serious ramifications to staying in the US with your wife more than 180 days after the exit day on your I-94 expires.  Depending on what choices you pick, you should be very careful.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.