Immigration Issues/Does income from affiliate sale count as

Question
QUESTION: Hi Mr. Hollander,

I am on a F1 student visa and I don't have permission to work.

When I was still in Germany I made money online from affiliate commissions. For example from amazon.com when someone bought a book from amazon through a link on my website. I then received a commission.

I want to continue doing that. Now that I live here for the time studying, is that considered "working in the US" and therefore illegal or is making money online (= can be done from anywhere in the world and I would do so if I was in Germany right now) ok?

Thank you for enlightening me on this issue.

Christine Jandke

ANSWER: Is the entity you get paid from a U.S. entity?

Robert

QUESTION: Yes, they are. Examples are amazon.com, clickbank.com, actionplan.com.

Sometimes they offter to pay into my Paypal account which is connected to my German bank account.  

Answer
It is the kind of thing that if Immigration knew about it they may not be happy, but it is not likely to be discovered or pose a problem as long as you maintain your student status.

After 1 year of full time student status, you can apply for work permission.

Robert

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>