You are here:

Immigration Issues/inmigration to the US


Hi, I'm from Costa Rica and currently have a B1 tourist visa and I'm planning to go visit my boyfriend (he is American)in New York and we want to see how much time they give me to stay and during that time apply for a student visa and to try to find a job in the meantime. I do have a California's drivers license and social security number. What is the best thing that I can do to not break the law and how can I use these documents as a back up. Thank you very much.

They will likely give you 6 months. If you change to a student visa, you can not work for 1 full year. If you get married you can stay and not need a student visa and be able to get work permission within a few months. You should come in on B-1 wait 60 days and then get married and then file for green card.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.