Immigration Issues/j1 to h1b


I would like to know If I can go from J1 visa to H1b visa? and  If I can go from a J1 visa job to another J1 visa job in a different institution.

You can change to J-1 visa to H-1 visa provided you are not subject to the 2 year foreign residency requirement. To move to another another institution on J you need to talk to your program advisor, they would need to authorize it and note it on the SEVIS database. There is also a requirement that it must be in the same category. (there are some exceptions to this rule)

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.