Immigration Issues/job options with F-1 status

Question
I just graduated and am now awaiting my OPT card in the mail.  While searching for jobs, I stumbled upon a website based on online marketing and owning your own business/working from home, etc...

Under the F-1/OPT, would I be allowed to start such a small business?  By the way, my major in school had nothing to do with marketing.

thanks

Answer

OPT should be used only for training or employment in your field of study. Therefore, you should not start this small business.

What is acceptable is "passive" investment since it is not considered employment, e.g., investing in the stock or bond market.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora